Musharraf Mir Ahmadova, an expert at the Center for Economic Research and Reforms, analyzed the significant changes in the automotive industry of Uzbekistan over the past five years.
In 2020, enterprises operating in the automotive industry produced a total of 33,718.9 billion soums worth of vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers. In 2016, this value amounted to 4,112.3 billion soums, compare to 2020 the growth rate was 8 times.
In the last 5 years, significant reforms have been made in the automotive sector.
In particular, the following achievements were made:
- The volume of car production increased by 3 times to 280,000;
- Long queues for the purchase of cars have been eliminated;
- The "honesty vaccine" was introduced in the industry and deep-rooted corruption was eliminated;
- In order to strengthen competition in the industry, the production of German Volkswagen cars from the world's largest brands has been launched in Jizzakh region.
The following achievements have been made in the automotive industry of Uzbekistan:
- production capacity is gradually growing;
- A project to produce new car models (Chevrolet Onix and Chevrolet Tracker) on a single GEM platform is being implemented;
- Direct investments from Japanese companies ISUZU and ITOCHU were used to increase the production capacity of SamAuto JV LLC;
- “Resource Management System” (SAP S / 4 HANA) was introduced in 2 network enterprises with the involvement of foreign IT companies;
- UzAuto Motors JSC is among the 10 largest taxpayers in Uzbekistan;
- The automotive industry strategy for the period up to 2030 has been developed with the involvement of the international company Boston Consulting Group.
Below you can read a detailed review of the significant changes in the five-year period of reforms in the automotive industry of Uzbekistan.