On September 29-30 this year, the Uzbekistan Economic Forum is being held in Tashkent for the first time.
The forum is of particular importance, since it is being organized at a new stage of reforms in our country and brings together experts from all over the world to discuss issues on the agenda.
The event is being attended by over 300 high-ranking representatives of more than a hundred organizations, including international financial institutions, foreign governments, large banks and investors, consulting and audit companies. Among them are such as:
- Anna Bjerde, Vice President of the World Bank;
- Shixin Chen, Vice President, Asian Development Bank;
- Eric de Rothschild, Vice President and Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Rothschild & Co;
- James O'Neill, former chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management.
Representatives of foreign governments:
- Sergey Lebedev, Chairman of the CIS Executive Committee - Executive Secretary;
- Fayziddin Kakhkhorzoda, Minister of Finance of the Republic of Tajikistan;
- Daniil Egorov, Head of the Federal Tax Service of the Russian Federation;
- Dmitry Volvach, Deputy Minister of Economic Development of the Russian Federation;
- Hanan Ahli, Chairman of the Statistics and Competitiveness Committee of the UAE;
- Sahib Alekperov, Deputy Minister of Economy of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- Dmitry Yaroshevich, Deputy Minister of Economy of the Republic of Belarus.
- investors: Veolia, Coca Cola Icecek, Total Eren, Acwa Power, Masdar, EdF;
- large banks: Rothschilds, Lazard, JP Morgan, Citi, SocGen, Raiffeisen Bank, Deutsche Bank, Mizuho, Natixis, Gazprombank, VTB, OTP Bank, TBC Bank, Sovcombank, Expobank;
- consulting and auditing firms: McKinsey, BCG, Big Four auditors.
More than 1,300 local and foreign economists, representatives of partner countries and international financial institutions have registered to participate in the forum, which is being held for the first time. This fact indicates that the world community recognizes the large-scale economic changes taking place in our republic, and is actively interested in them..
The two-day international forum is opened with a plenary session. Discussion of economic reforms will take place with the participation of high-ranking guests. The further program includes the work of delegates in 14 sections, including on topics such as the transformation of state-owned enterprises and banks, privatization, capital market development, public-private partnership projects and prospects for regional economic cooperation.
In collaboration with the prestigious Financial Times, a panel discussion was organized on the topic “Liberalizing the Economy to Increase Competitiveness”, which will be broadcast live on the Financial Times online platforms. The event was organized by Jacopo Dettoni, editor of fDi Intelligence (part of the Financial Times). Participants include representatives of the government of Uzbekistan, former EBRD President Suma Chakrabarti, IFC Vice President Hela Sheikhruhu and University of Adelaide professor Bofar Etadi.
Uzbekistan has become, in a sense, a "crossroads" for the discussion and implementation of global initiatives and ideas from international organizations, companies and other foreign partners. Recently, it has hosted several major international events, which were attended by the leaders of the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, Rothschild and many other representatives of international financial institutions, investment banks, consulting firms and partner countries.
A number of agreements and memorandums are expected to be signed on the second day of the forum. After the closing ceremony of the forum, two-day discussions will take place, where the views of international and national experts on further economic reforms will be summarized.
On the eve of the forum, leading world experts and analysts have already noted in their interviews that the reforms carried out by President Shavkat Mirziyoyev have created favorable conditions for the implementation of significant new ideas. For the first time organized by the Uzbekistan Economic Forum is clear evidence of the onset of a new era in the development of our country - new Uzbekistan.